GREX LUPORUM

GREX LUPORUM
AZINCOURT 600

Monday 4 December 2017

SEAXES, HUNTING & WAR BOWS

SEAXES, HUNTING & WARBOWS 




-On a December day I found myself in the middle of a college green demonstrating to a large number of students the medieval English Warbow. 

The morning  had been organised by Mike Everest of ‘Portals to the Past’, comprising of  three 50 minute  talks to students on ‘Saxon/Norman hunting archery’ and the ‘English Warbow’ in the 100 years war.

Dressed in full gear as an 15th century Azincourt archer on one of the coldest days of the year with considerable chill factor, I was thinking more about the students - many without coats - that came to witness “the man that makes holes in a steel sheet with arrows”. 

It did not go badly, on the contrary, it was a successful  demonstration thanks to Mike’s moral support  and the students cheering me with every arrow finding it’s target as if it was the national English football team scoring a goal. 

To my great satisfaction after the demonstration and looking at the target where the arrows had penetrated the metal sheet I noticed something for the first time.

Now I would like to make it clear that what I am about to say  is not anything new, but I am writing for the benefit of the students who may like to know what I think happens when the arrow strikes armour, but also this is the very first time that I have visual and physical evidence of this action.

The bow I used was a  100 lbs at 32” but I am sure that I shot the arrow much shorter - closer to 30” i.e. around 90 lbs. The wood was stiff to pull due to the cold and fingers  a little painful. The metal sheet was 1.2mm thick and to my luck painted red. It was part of a warehouse door. 
From the 9 arrows I shot, 6 found the target at 20m distance, and somehow saved my reputation on the day. All the arrows were 29.5” to 30.5” long, 1/2” to 3/8” taper, 7.5” x 3 goose feathers, some ash, some poplar shafts and weights between 950 - 1100 grains (15.43 grains = 1 gram). All had hand forged bodkins around 3.5” long. I have found that short bodkins and variations of the  No 10 type arrowheads are the most successful in demonstrations of this kind.

Now 1.2 mm steel plate is not the thickness of  breast plate armour, but there are many areas in armour where the metal is thinner and very vulnerable to war arrows, especially at 20 - 40 m distances.  For educational purposes and to show the difference between target archery and the use of the  warbow the above specs are adequate.

I have shot arrows at metal sheets before  but this is the very first time that I shot at a bright painted red metal sheet and what I noticed looking carefully at the holes on the steel were 1/3  circular scratching marks around the hole. (Photo 1 )



Photo 1




When I positioned  the arrow back in the hole I also noticed that some red paint marks on the bodkin  were quite a distance from the actual metal sheet.  ( Photo 2 ) 

                                                                             
                                                                    Photo 2


I know theoretically from ballistics studies that as the arrow strikes it has a fast spin and the penetration in the metal works like a hammer drill i.e. the arrow spins and pushes  whilst at the same time the metal sheet is trying to push it back. The arrow wins the battle until all it’s kinetic energy is exhausted and finally the metal pushes it back a short distance from it’s original point of penetration.  
In Photo 1 you see evidence of the spinning left on the red surface as the metal caved in and in Photo 2 we see how much the arrow has been forced back by the metal’s resistance when it bounced back. I have to make quite clear that the arrow went in straight and totally vertical to the target.

I have made 2 illustrations to explain as much as possible what the evidence tells me. To have a painted metal surface was an accidental choice that proved to be very informative. (Illustations 1 and 2 )

Illustration 1 & 2

                                                             Illustrations 1 & 2

In the first illustration ( 1 ) we see the impact of the arrow as it spins. It forces with hammer drill action (Force A) the metal sheet until it locks and stops leaving its diamond shape mark on the metal. In the second illustration( 2 ) the metal bounces back  ( B ) and forces the arrow out of the hole and in this case to around 3/8” .  The red marks left on the bodkin are at the same level as the scratch marks are where the arrow finally rested. 


PS. The bodkin that made the hole is of a diamond shape (Photo 3) and has been used for at least three years. The tip is a bit damaged from an older strike.


Photo 3








© GREX LUPORUM


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.